[rspec-users] Pull requests via Github - To Fork or Not? That is the Question.

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 21:05:19 EST 2011

On Feb 10, 2011, at 6:29 PM, James Martin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been coming up with some documentation examples, which I'd like
> to contribute as Cucumber features to go into the relishapp.
>
> I started following the contribute instructions on the rspec-dev
> README[1] but have a question about pull requests.
>
> Should I clone from the rspec/* projects on github, or fork them all
> and then setup my local development environment from my own forks?
>
> If the preferred method is to clone from the official rspec/* repos
> then it presumably wouldn't be possible to submit pull requests.

Do whichever is easiest for you. You can follow the directions in the readme and then fork the repos and point your local repos at your fork instead of rspec's repo. Assuming, for example, your github account is jmartin:

# in rspec-core
git remote rm origin
git remote add origin https://github.com/jamesmartin/rspec-core.git

Make sense?

Looking forward to your contributions. Thanks!

Cheers,
David

> [1] https://github.com/rspec/rspec-dev/blob/master/README.markdown

Cheers,