[rspec-users] Testing a before_filter with a Rails.env condition

Shane Mingins elc at mingins.com
Mon Aug 29 19:09:39 EDT 2011

Hi

We have the occasional ApplicationController before_filter that is
conditioned by the Rails.env and we like the following style:

  before_filter :check_for_something if Rails.env == 'production'

And wish to spec this in an ApplicationController spec using an anonymous
controller (e.g.
http://relishapp.com/rspec/rspec-rails/docs/controller-specs/anonymous-controller
)

*Q. Just wondering how we can Rails.stub(:env).and_return('production') to
trigger the before_filter?*

As it stands we have moved the conditional down into the method and stub in
the before(:each)

e.g.

before_filter :check_for_something

def check_for_something
  if Rails.env == 'production'

before(:each) do
  Rails.stub(:env).and_return('production')
 end

Cheers
Shane