[rspec-users] inheriting test cases vs. mixing them in

Justin Ko jko170 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 03:04:39 EDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 7:53 PM, braver <deliverable at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've come across an interesting blog post showing how to inherit
> tests:
> http://benbiddington.wordpress.com/2010/11/06/rspec-common-base-specs/
> How does it stack against the usual mixing/shared_examples_for,
> beautifully described in
> http://blog.davidchelimsky.net/2010/11/07/specifying-mixins-with-shared-example-groups-in-rspec-2/
> I.e., what are the cases where you'd do inheritance vs
> shared_examples_for?
> Cheers,
> Alexy

I see no use case for class inheritance in RSpec. If you need to include
some methods in a spec, use the `include` config option:

module MySpecMethods
  def foo

RSpec.configure do |config|
  config.include MySpecMethods

  # to restrict to controllers, for example
  config.include MySpecMethods, :type => :controller