[rspec-users] problem with rspec test, undefined method 'post'

Justin Ko jko170 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 19:27:44 EDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 1:34 PM, Michael Hickman <lists at ruby-forum.com>wrote:

> I am writing a spec to test the behavior of the mashup_controller when
> someone sends a query through a URL. I need to simulate the parameters
> contained in the URL, and i read that the post() method will do that,
> however when i get an error:
> 1) MashupController simulates query
>     Failure/Error: post :create
>     NoMethodError:
>       undefined method `post' for
> #<RSpec::Core::ExampleGroup::Nested_1:0x980bc50>
>     # ./mashup_controller_rspec.rb:9:in `block (2 levels) in <top
> (required)>'
>
> Finished in 0.20199 seconds 1 example, 1 failure
>
> Failed examples:
>
> rspec ./mashup_controller_rspec.rb:7 # MashupController simulates query
>

> Here is my code:
>
> --------------------------------
> require 'spec_helper'
> require 'mashup_controller.rb'
>
> describe MashupController do
>    it "simulates query" do
>        post :create
>    end

Welcome to RSpec!

You need to put your controller specs in a "spec/controllers" directory.
RSpec will look for spec files in spec/controllers and include the necessary
files in each spec file. Also, you do not need to "require
'mashup_controller.rb'" - Rails already loads it for you.

Let us know if that works.