[rspec-users] Where do a set the description on a should satisfy.

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Mon Sep 27 12:38:51 EDT 2010

  On 9/27/10 8:23 AM, GregD wrote:

> On Sep 27, 9:14 am, David Chelimsky<dchelim... at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Sep 27, 2010, at 8:12 AM, David Chelimsky wrote:
>>

>> re: how to include them: yes, in a module:
>>
>> # in spec/support/custom_matchers.rb
>> module CustomMatchers
>> end
>>
>> # in spec/spec_helper.rb
>> RSpec.configure do |c|
>>    c.include CustomMatchers
>> end
>>
> Okay, 1 more question and maybe this is more of a convention request.
> I know in my rails apps that my environment is loaded when running my
> specs from a rake task or from the spec command.  But for a non-rails
> app, it would be nice to default spec program to load spec_helper if
> it exists in the spec dir.  Like:
>
> jruby -S spec spec
>
> instead of having to do this to include the spec_helper every time:
>
> jruby -S spec -r spec/spec_helper.rb spec
>
> Or am I missing something?  Or is that just not desirable?  I know I
> can use rake and create a rake task(s), but from the perspective of
> the command line, it would be nice to not to have to supply the -r
> option unless you want to include something "outside" of this
> convention.

For rails and non-rails apps/libs the convention is to have each
*_spec.rb file require the 'spec_helper' at the top of the spec like so:

http://github.com/rspec/rspec-core/blob/master/spec/rspec/core_spec.rb#L1

By following this convention you will only have to specify the spec on
the command line.

HTH,
Ben