[rspec-users] render_with_layout not working with RSpec 2 + Rails 3 + shoulda 2.11.3

Amiruddin Nagri amir.nagri at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 11:40:29 EDT 2010

I am trying to assert that my controller is rendered with particular layout

  it "should render application layout" do
    get :index
    should render_with_layout('application')

but it is giving error like

     undefined method `layout' for nil:NilClass
     # ./spec/controllers/some_controller_spec.rb:6:in `block (2 levels) in

I have uploaded a sample app where the issue can be produced here ->

What am I doing wrong ? is it a good idea to jump on Rails 3 while issues
with a lot of essential plugins still being ironed out ?

Amiruddin Nagri