[rspec-users] What should I test/specify?

Andrew Wagner wagner.andrew at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 09:40:10 EDT 2010

Ok, so here's the scenario. I have a top-level module, with a method called
load_file. It should take a file name, get the YAML module (Syck) to parse
it, and then send the result to a class, which should convert that result
into a series of objects.

I'm not sure what specs, if any, I should write for load_file. I can get
into the nitty gritty details of exactly what methods it should be calling,
but that seems brittle. I can skip all that and just make assertions about
the final series of objects, but I'd rather put those specs on the class
that's actually doing the conversion.

Suggestions? Here's the code that I (think I) want to drive out:

module BTree
  def self.load_file file_name
    raw = YAML::load_file file_name
    tree = BehaviorTreeCreator.new(raw).create