[rspec-users] Spec'ing methods which essentially filter associations

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 22:34:31 EDT 2010

On Oct 23, 2010, at 11:04 AM, deploy wrote:

> I've been spec'ing for a long time, but I've never discovered the
> answer to this, so a definitive answer would be great!
>
> Whats the best way to spec a method which basically filters an
> association?
>
> class Thing < ActiveRecord::Base
>  has_many :others
>
>  def foos
>    others.all(:conditions => { ... })
>  end
> end
>
> I don't like the idea of creating a load of associated records in my
> spec and testing the returned result as I am not testing the
> associated model and as such would prefer any references to it to be
> mocked out, so the best I can some up with is this super lame test
> which is clearly way too implementation specific and essentially
> useless.
>
> describe Thing do
>  describe 'foos' do
>    before :each do
>      @thing = Thing.new
>      @others_proxy = mock('others proxy')
>      @others_proxy.stub!(:all)
>      @thing.stub!(:others).and_return(@others_proxy)
>    end
>
>    it 'should return the associated others which meet the conditions'
> do
>      @others_proxy.should_receive(:all).with({ :conditions => ' ...
> ' })
>      @thing.foos
>    end
>  end
> end
>
> So what's the best practice in this case?

<tangent>
There are no 'best practices' absent _all_ of the context of the application, dev stack, dev team, other apps the team builds, etc. That aside ...
</tangent>

When it comes to spec'ing filters, I tend to just use ActiveRecord (or whatever ORM I'm using). It's OK for some examples to hit the DB, and this is a good case for allowing it in my view, as the examples end up being more clear and readable and less brittle.

HTH,
David