[rspec-users] Tests Not Detected, Says 0 Examples

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 22:03:12 EDT 2010

On Oct 21, 2010, at 6:20 PM, rspec-users.20.dissolved at dfgh.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get tests running on a gem I forked on github. When I try to run tests, it says "0 examples", despite lots of tests in the /spec directory. Here is some pertinent information:
>
> Code at: http://github.com/dissolved/yahoo_stock
> RSpec version 2.0.1
>
> Some examples:
>
> 01:05:43 [xenon:~/Development/ruby/yahoo_stock]
> [ruby-1.9.2-p0 at rails3.0] master $ rspec spec
>
> Finished in 0.00005 seconds
> 0 examples, 0 failures
>
> 01:09:03 [xenon:~/Development/ruby/yahoo_stock]
> [ruby-1.9.2-p0 at rails3.0] master $ rspec spec/yahoo_stock/history_spec.rb
>
> Finished in 0.00004 seconds
> 0 examples, 0 failures
>

> I've got an email out to the primary developer of the original gem, but think I may be having a more general problem. The readme for the project does say to use 'rake spec' using RSpec 1.2.2, but that yields a "No Rakefile found" error.
>
> What am I missing here?

RSpec-2 is nearly 100% backward compatible when it comes to how specs are structured, matchers, etc, but there are changes to important pieces that could lead to what your seeing. For example the top level directory is 'rspec' instead of 'spec', so if the spec_helper in the app says "require 'spec'", then things are likely to fall apart.

I'd stick with rspec-1.2.2 if that's what the project says works.

In terms of the "No Rakefile found" error, that comes directly from rake, so if there _is_ a Rakefile in the directory you're calling "rake spec" in, then I'm at a loss. Anybody else have any insights?