[rspec-users] rspec2 observations

Chuck Remes cremes.devlist at mac.com
Wed Oct 6 12:19:41 EDT 2010

On Oct 6, 2010, at 9:30 AM, David Chelimsky wrote:

> On Oct 6, 2010, at 9:09 AM, Chuck Remes wrote:
>
>> Just a few observations now that I have completed the upgrade from RSpec-1 to RSpec-2.
>>
>> 1. In my project (2800 examples across about 40 files), MRI 1.9.2-p0 takes roughly 3 times longer to complete the spec run. Runtimes grew from 2.2s (rspec 1.3.0) to 6.1s (2.0.0.rc).
>
> Is this a Rails-3 project? Are you using the time that rspec displays, or measuring that yourself (including load times before the spec run starts)?

Nope, no Rails. This is a work project which uses a few gems like ffi-rzmq, zmqmachine, sequel, mongo/bson, etc. It's a set of distributed applications for a trading system; no web stuff at all.

>> I don't know if this is an issue with RSpec-2 or if Rubinius & JRuby require an update. Or, perhaps the problem is elsewhere and this warning is a red herring. Guidance on this would be welcome; I am happy to open an issue with these other projects if the fault lays there.
>
> That warning would only happen if something was trying to reference the Spec module instead of RSpec. Feel free to open an issue for this so we can track it, but I'm pretty sure it's not anything RSpec can fix.
>
> Thanks for the feedback!

I'll try to pinpoint the error a bit better before opening an issue.

Thanks for a great tool like rspec! It gives me confidence in my code.

cr