[rspec-users] rspec2 observations

Chuck Remes cremes.devlist at mac.com
Wed Oct 6 10:09:55 EDT 2010

Just a few observations now that I have completed the upgrade from RSpec-1 to RSpec-2.

1. In my project (2800 examples across about 40 files), MRI 1.9.2-p0 takes roughly 3 times longer to complete the spec run. Runtimes grew from 2.2s (rspec 1.3.0) to 6.1s (2.0.0.rc).

2. Rubinius 1.1.0 runs RSpec-2 without error.

3. JRuby 1.5.1 runs RSpec-2 without error.

4. Both Rubinius and JRuby print a deprecation warning while running the exact same code as MRI 1.9.2-p0 (which doesn't print this warning).

DEPRECATION WARNING: you are using a deprecated constant that will
be removed from a future version of RSpec.

* Spec is deprecated.
* RSpec is the new top-level module in RSpec-2

/Users/cremes/.rvm/gems/rbx-head/gems/rspec-expectations-2.0.0.rc/lib/rspec/expectations/backward_compatibility.rb:6:in `const_missing'

I don't know if this is an issue with RSpec-2 or if Rubinius & JRuby require an update. Or, perhaps the problem is elsewhere and this warning is a red herring. Guidance on this would be welcome; I am happy to open an issue with these other projects if the fault lays there.

All in all, it's looking good!