[rspec-users] Newbie questions - Best practice for loading local db data and model tests? (factory_girl , debugging ?)

R.T. rtlechow at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 19:08:23 EST 2010

   1. Rails provides db/seeds.rb and the "db:seed" rake task specifically
   for this. See: http://railscasts.com/episodes/179-seed-data
   2. Yep, this is bad and will lead to slow, brittle specs. The RSpec Book
   talks about the importance of isolation and all that Good Stuff.
   3. The Rails logger is available to you:
Keep in mind, you could just set an expectation on whatever you wanted
   "log", and see what happens to it in the spec output.