[rspec-users] Testing update, flash[:error]

Robert Dober robert.dober at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 16:55:03 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Paul Nelligan <nellboy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andrew
> I suspect that flash[:error] is not a valid identifier,  and therefore is
> returning a nil value.
> Hope this is of use to you.
> Paul
>
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Andrew Davis <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I'm trying to write a failure test for updating a model, but the
>> flash[:error] seems to be causing a problem.
>>
>> All code can be found here:
>> http://pastie.org/private/zcu0fpzbfbjbleocmf1bqw
>>
>> I've also tried using regular expressions, instead of:
>>
>> flash[:error].should == "Name can't be blank"
>>
>> I've tried:
>>
>> flash[:error].should =~ /Name can't be blank/i

As Paul pointed out correctly flash[:error] == nil, thus your spec
works quite correctly. All you have to do now is to set flash[:error]
appropriately, in your case I guess that this should be done by means
of ActiveRecord/ActiveModel validations.
Are you sure that you have the necessary validation in your Task model?

HTH
Robert

--
The 1,000,000th fibonacci number contains '42' 2039 times; that is
almost 30 occurrences more than expected (208988 digits).