[rspec-users] Testing Controller 'show' action

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 10:21:43 EST 2010

On Nov 18, 2010, at 8:38 AM, Andrew Davis wrote:

> Thank you very much for your response. I'll give it a go this afternoon!
>
> Now, you mentioned, "Please post backtraces when you have failures."
>
> Do you mean a section of the test.log? Because RSpec only informed that
> that it expected true but was false. Or is there a condition I need to
> pass to get a backtrace, that sounds extremely helpful!

At the very least copy the failure message verbatim rather than describing it. You said "false responses", which sounds like the response object was false. Now you say "expected true but it was false" but I think the actual message would be "expected true, got false". Precision is important to make it easier for those who want to help to do so.

If you run "rspec spec --backtrace" you'll get the full backtrace, and you can copy that into the email or https://gist.github.com/ or https://gist.github.com/. Run "rspec --help" to see all of the command line options.

Cheers,
David