[rspec-users] How to specify current directory for specs?

Daniel Lidström dlidstrom at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 13:14:29 EST 2010

I'd like to know if it's possible to specify what directory to use as
the current directory when executing the specifications. My specs are
in spec/ and I have some data in spec/data that I want to read from
one of the specs:

require 'book'

describe Book do
  it "should read version" do
    book = Book.new "data/JA_s12.book"     # This should open the file
    book.version.should == 1

Of course I can prepend spec/ to the path above, but I'd rather not. I
have created a rake task for running my specifications:

desc "Run all specs in the spec directory"
RSpec::Core::RakeTask.new('spec') do |t|
  t.rspec_opts = %w[--color]

Can I specify the spec/ directory as the current directory when
running this task? What is the expert recommendation? Is the data for
my specs malplaced, you think?
Thanks in advance!