[rspec-users] How to setup rspec to be included on the PATH

Robert Stagner restagner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 11:06:43 EST 2010

Yes, I meant rspec.  My apologies for the typo.  I'm running into the same
problem with cucumber and inadvertently confused the two.  I've gone ahead
and added 3 additional values to my PATH environment variable.  My PATH
variable now looks like

/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/home/rstagner/firefox:/var/lib/gems/1.8:/home/rstagner/.gem/ruby/1.8:/var/lib/gems/1.8/bin

In addition to adding the "GEM PATHS" variables to my PATH environment, I've
also included the "EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /var/lib/gems/1.8/bin" setting,
which seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the information!!!

Regards,
Robert

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 5:23 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2010, at 6:12 PM, Robert Stagner wrote:
>
> I've recently installed a copy of rspec (2.0.0) on my Linux distribution
> (Ubuntu 9.10).  All went well.  However, when I attempt to access cucumber
> from the shell, like so
>

> You mean "attempt to access rspec," right?
>
> $ rspec --help
>
> I receive the following:
>
> No command 'rspec' found
>
> I know there is a simple solution to this, likely dealing with the PATH
> environment variable.  Any help in pointing me to a solution where I can get
> rspec setup on my PATH would be most appreciated.
>
> Please run "gem env" and look at the section of the output that starts with
> "GEM PATHS" and make sure that all of the paths listed there (there may only
> be one) are included in your PATH.
>
> HTH,
> David
>
> I used the following command taken from the RSpec book to install rspec
>
> sudo gem intall rspec --version 2.0.0
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards,