[rspec-users] Why pending only works inside it

Nadal node.js99 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 14:07:54 EDT 2010

I wrote following code and it did not work.

describe User do
 it { should validate_presence_of(:email) }
 pending "should raise an error when email is blank and record is
saved with false option"
end

Then I put pending inside it like one given below and it worked.

describe User do
 it { should validate_presence_of(:email) }
 it "" do
  pending "should raise an error when email is blank and record is
saved with false option"

I know that rspec is well thought out . Then why rspec is forcing me
to put empty it around pending line. Why can't I just say that
something is pending and I will get to it later.

Thanks for all the good work.