[rspec-users] How I make browser act-as-robot-driven ?

Chuck van der Linden sqapro at gmail.com
Thu May 20 16:21:49 EDT 2010

On May 18, 11:08 am, Audrey A Lee <audrey.lee.is... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
> Today I am working through the simple tutorial here:
>  http://wiki.github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/ruby-on-rails
> It has me install Cucumber-Rails and then create a feature.
> Then I watch the feature fail when I run
> rake cucumber
> Then I watch the feature pass after I implement some code with the
> help of:
> script/generate rspec_scaffold Frooble name:string color:string
> So I am happy.
> I am curious though.
> I'd like to have a browser appear and act-as-robot-driven.
> This is convenient for my development efforts.
> It allows me to rapidly create a development state inside a controller
> and then halt the controller with a debugger statement.
> Then I attach my mind to that state and tinker with values of
> variables and snippets of code.
> This is behavior I observed on a Rails project I wrote back in late
> 2009.
> Back then I was using this combination of gems:
> - cucumber 0.6.x
> - rspec-rails-1.2.9
> - Selenium-1.1.14
> So, here is my question:
> Using this combo of gems, is it possible to have a browser appear and
> act-as-robot-driven:
> cucumber (0.7.3)
> cucumber-rails (0.3.1)
> capybara (0.3.5)
> ???

If you are looking for an easy way to 'drive' a browser with Ruby I'd
suggest looking at WATIR (Web Application Testing In Ruby) which is
designed for just that sort of thing.

I use it along with Cucumber to do regression test suites that test
the system 'end to end'

In my case I happen to use it within the Watircraft framework, just
because it makes things a bit easier when doing a whole suite of
tests, but for simple stuff it's probably overkill.

There's also something called 'watercuke' referenced in the ccumber
wiki (which I really don't know much about) that provides a enhanced
level of integration..

If you search the web you can perhaps also find some recordings that
people have done at various conferences or user-group meetings where
demo's were done of using Water and Cucumber together