[rspec-users] How I make browser act-as-robot-driven ?

Audrey A Lee audrey.lee.is.me at gmail.com
Tue May 18 14:08:23 EDT 2010

Dear list,

Today I am working through the simple tutorial here:
  http://wiki.github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/ruby-on-rails

It has me install Cucumber-Rails and then create a feature.

Then I watch the feature fail when I run
rake cucumber

Then I watch the feature pass after I implement some code with the
help of:

script/generate rspec_scaffold Frooble name:string color:string

So I am happy.

I am curious though.

I'd like to have a browser appear and act-as-robot-driven.

This is convenient for my development efforts.

It allows me to rapidly create a development state inside a controller
and then halt the controller with a debugger statement.

Then I attach my mind to that state and tinker with values of
variables and snippets of code.

This is behavior I observed on a Rails project I wrote back in late
2009.

Back then I was using this combination of gems:

- cucumber 0.6.x
- rspec-rails-1.2.9
- Selenium-1.1.14

So, here is my question:

Using this combo of gems, is it possible to have a browser appear and
act-as-robot-driven:

cucumber (0.7.3)
cucumber-rails (0.3.1)
capybara (0.3.5)