[rspec-users] RSpec tasks, JRuby and rvm

Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas lbocseg at yahoo.com.br
Thu May 6 19:42:53 EDT 2010

I've been playing with rvm these days and I had a bad surprise today.

$ rvm install jruby
$ rvm jruby
$ rake test

Of course you didn't understand. I didn't explain yet...

I've written a Rakefile following RSpec homepage instructions and adding
some options to ruby (namely "--ng", for working with nailgun support).
But the error seems to be related to gems access. If I run the RSpec
command from a terminal where I executed "rvm jruby", it works. In
another terminal it won't work.

I'm testing a Java Maven project with JRuby and RSpec. It was working
prior to rvm use. But calling the "ruby" executable using the full path,
as RSpec tasks does, doesn't seem to suffice. "rvm jruby" probably sets
up a proper environment that is not reproduced by RSpec when calling the
configured ruby interpreter.

Of course I could contact the RVM developers about this, but I would
like to understand first why RSpec needs to spawn a separate process in
its task... Does anyone here knows the reason?

Thanks in advance...

Faça ligações para outros computadores com o novo Yahoo! Messenger