[rspec-users] continuing on my quest to learn rspec...

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Tue Mar 23 20:03:20 EDT 2010

On 23 Mar 2010, at 17:43, Patrick J. Collins wrote:

> Ok,
>
> So...  My first attempt at specing a method in my photo model didn't
> go so
> well..
>
> http://gist.github.com/341447
>
> Both of these tests are failing, and I am not even sure if I am
> structuring
> this anywhere near correct or not...
>
> In other words... HELP!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Patrick J. Collins
> http://collinatorstudios.com

Okay I have a few thoughts for you Patrick, hopefully I'll be able to
give you them in an order that makes some sense.

Firstly I wonder why you're putting this behaviour on the photo class.
Have you ever heard of the code smell 'feature envy'? Photo#set_cover
seems to me to be talking mostly to the photo_album, so perhaps this
behaviour should move there?

Something like
https://gist.github.com/341831/663bbef3cb55a70ce875df88643f54a6913193b1

Also, I'm not seeing anything in the specs that actually triggers any
behaviour in the class. You set up a stub and then immediately assert
what the photo album's cover should be - when are you expecting the
code you want to test to be caused to actually run?