[rspec-users] requiring "test_notifier/rspec" in spec,opts

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 08:38:43 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 3:13 PM, drewB <dbatshaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> I may not have been clear.  When I said if I add it to the top of my
> spec.opts file, I meant adding, '--require "test_notifier/rspec"'.
> Nevertheless, I tried you suggestion (a very good one).
> Unfortunately, it seems that it must be required before "require
> File.expand_path(File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__),'..','config','environment'))"
> or the following error appears:
> /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:270:in `activate': You have a
> nil object when you didn't expect it! (NoMethodError)
> You might have expected an instance of Array.
> The error occurred while evaluating nil.map

If you know where it works in the spec_helper file, then you can do
what I suggested before, but in a new directory. So right now in
spec_helper you've got something like:

  Dir['spec/support/*_.rb'].each {|f| require f}

Do the same thing, but put your helpers in a separate directory, and
include that _before_ the line that requires 'config/environment'

  Dir['spec/before_rails_loads/*_.rb'].each {|f| require f}