[rspec-users] Integration testing without cucumber

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 18:54:00 EST 2010

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:53 AM, drewB <dbatshaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like I spoke too soon.  I made a mistake when testing your
> suggest.  When I add that I still get the same failure.

I just did the following using rails 2.3.5, rspec 1.3.2 and rspec-rails 1.3.0:

$ rails foo
$ cd foo
$ script/generate rspec
$ mkdir spec/integration
$ script/generate integration_spec widgets
$ rake db:migrate && db:test:prepare

Then I modified spec/integration/widgets_spec.rb as follows:

require 'spec_helper'

describe "Widgets" do
  it "shows me the list" do
    get "/widgets"
    response.should be_success

Then I ran this:

$ script/spec spec/integration/

And here's the output I saw:

1)
'Widgets ..' FAILED
expected success? to return true, got false
/Users/dchelimsky/tmp/foo/spec/integration/widgets_spec.rb:6:

So everything is working as it should on a fresh app. Did you update
spec/spec_helper.rb the last time you upgraded the app? Are you using
an earlier version of rspec-rails or rspec?