[rspec-users] RSpec 2 view example: render_template

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 09:03:48 EDT 2010

On Jun 20, 2010, at 7:30 AM, Michael Schuerig wrote:

> On http://github.com/rspec/rspec-rails under "View specs" there's an
> example
> describe "events/index.html.erb" do
>  it "renders _event partial for each event" do
>    assign(:events, [stub_model(Event), stub_model(Event)])
>    render
>    view.should render_template(:partial => "_event", :count => 2)
>  end
> end
> Is this indeed correct? From the outset, it looks wrong because it sets
> an expectation (view.should ...) after the call to render.
> Then, no matter if I leave that line where it is or put it before the
> render, I get an exception
> undefined method `render_template' for
> #<RSpec::Core::ExampleGroup::Nested_1:0x7f6c0632fea0>

The README you're looking at is stored in git with git HEAD, and aligns with that code. This feature was added after the last release, and works as advertised if you're working with git HEAD, and will be part of the next release.

If you're using an earlier release, then you should follow the README for that release: http://github.com/rspec/rspec-rails/tree/v2.0.0.beta.12