[rspec-users] Rails 3 Support/Design

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 10:56:11 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 4:10 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 3:14 PM, geetarista <geetarista at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Since Rspec-Rails 2 is specifically geared toward Rails 3, I'm
>> wondering why it doesn't use railtie, the new generators, etc.  Will
>> it stay this way or is it planned to support that?
>
> It does use the new generators, and we do have a railtie, but bundler
> doesn't support exposing the railtie in the :test group by default, so
> if you do this:
>
> group :test do
>  gem "rspec-rails"
> end
>
> ... then you won't see the rake tasks or the generators. I believe
> this will be addressed in bundler before it goes final, at which point
> we'll rely only on the railtie.

I'm not sure I see how bundler would address this, but couldn't it be
addressed by breaking the stuff you need from rspec-rails in the
development environment into a separate rspec-rails-dev gem or
something like that.

Breaking up gems seems to have been a theme in the transition from
Rails 2 -> Rails 3.

Just an idea
--
Rick DeNatale