[rspec-users] how to fix 'rake gems:refresh_specs' gems has no specificati

Amit Jain lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Jul 29 08:24:52 EDT 2010

Amit Jain wrote:
> David Chelimsky wrote:
>> On Jul 29, 2010, at 5:19 AM, Amit Jain wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I recently unpacked the latest rspec and rspec rails in my
>>> applicaiton.
>>
>> How did you unpack them (what command did you use)?
> I just install rspec gem through the commands:
>               root# gem install rspec
>               root# gem install rcov
>
> and
>
> ~/mygreatapp/ $ ./script/plugin install
> svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rspec/tags/REL_X_Y_Z/vendor/rspec_on_rails/vendor/plugins/rspec
>
> but it's not work
>
> ~/mygreatapp/ $ ./script/generate rspec
> and then
> ./script/generate rspec_model User
>

>>> When I run my specs I get:
>>>
>>> $ rcov user_spec.rb
>>
>> Where are you typing this command? What happens when you type "rake
>> spec" from the project root?
>> I run that command in /spec/models directory
>
>  /spec/models $ rcov user_spec.rb
>
>>> config.gem: Unpacked gem CVS in vendor/gems has no specification file.
>>
>> This error suggests that you unpacked the gem using "gem unpack" instead
>> of "rake gems:unpack".
>>
>>> Run 'rake gems:refresh_specs' to fix this.
>>> config.gem: Unpacked gem CVS in vendor/gems not in a versioned
>>> directory. Giving up.
>>
>> And this one suggests that you may have put a CVS plugin directly in the
>> gems folder. Rails wants you to put plugins in vendor/plugins, and use
>> "rake gems:unpack" to install gems in vendor/gems.
>>
>>>  from
>>> /home/Amit/Myworkspace/MyApplication/vendor/plugins/rspec_on_rails/lib/spec/rails.rb:3
>>
>> What version of rails are you using? rspec_on_rails was replaced by
>> rspec-rails nearly two years ago, when rails was at 2.1.x. If you're
>> using any version of rails later than 2.1, you should be using the
>> rspec-rails gem.
>
> I am using Rails 2.3.4.

Hi Devid,

Thanks for answer but i am still getting same problem.

i am sending one another error:
i run this command
[root at localhost gems]# rake gems:unpack rspec_rails

and get  error:
config.gem: Unpacked gem CVS in vendor/gems has no specification file.
Run 'rake gems:refresh_specs' to fix this.
config.gem: Unpacked gem CVS in vendor/gems not in a versioned
directory. Giving up.
config.gem: Unpacked gem rmagick-2.13.1 in vendor/gems has no
specification file. Run 'rake gems:refresh_specs' to fix this.
rake aborted!
no such file to load -- spec/translator

please help me............