[rspec-users] How do I setup Rspec, Cucumber to test a Gem?

Walther Diechmann lists at ruby-forum.com
Mon Jul 19 14:05:58 EDT 2010

Hi,

my question unwields me as a complete noob - which is okay - but I
apologize for this totally basic question <:)

I've bought the PragProg Rspec Book and googled, been reading blogs and
what-have-I-not, but nowhere have I been able to find information
detailing how I setup a BDD environment for testing the construction of
a Gem.

I have a ../gem_folder which I hope eventually will be a Gem to use with
Rails 3 and I really would like to upload it to GitHub with a good test
coverage.

>From the Rspec Book  I've learned that within Rails Apps, I use Cucumber
and WebRat (among others) - but the book does not (or at least Iøve not
been able to discover it) show how to setup the environment, without the
Rails App.

I guess my question could boil down to: how do I create the environment
(folders, files) to test a Gem meant to work with Rails?

So far I have:

../gem_folder
../gem_folder/features
../gem_folder/lib
../gem_folder/pkg
../gem_folder/spec

and a few files like Rakefile, Manifest, CHANGELOG, LICENSE - and I'm
able to push to Gemcutter and GitHub

but where in this picture does the Rails App fit in? How do I make sure
that the Gem will work went installed/utilized on Rails App's

best regards,
Walther