[rspec-users] Questions about testing a module method that randomly creates stuff from list.

Greg Ditrick gditrick at fuse.net
Thu Jul 15 13:18:44 EDT 2010

All,

I have a method in a shared Module that shuffles data and then output other data.  The method is somewhat large (maybe 50 lines) and  sometimes calls other sub methods to help to complete the output which must meet a specific criteria or it re-shuffles.

My questions are:
1)	How do I capture that a sub method is called?  Module.should_recieve(:sub_method)  ???
2)	How do I capture the rand number that caused a condition (like the :sub_method being called, an Error raised, etc.).  I know srand will give me the seed that caused it.  But, how do I capture it on the failure?  For example:
true.should_not be_true || File.open(“capture_rand.out”,”a”) { |f| f.puts “#{srand}”}
Can you do an || (or) statement like that and have it capture the seed and fail the example?  Any ideas?  Any other ways of capturing data like that?

After I capture the seeds, I’m thinking I could than use those seeds to fine tune specific tests.

Thanks,

GregD