[rspec-users] before(:all) to set up mocks and stubs

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 18:19:14 EDT 2010

On Jul 13, 2010, at 7:25 AM, Ivo Dancet wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm upgrading an application to rspec2/rails3. A certain suite of tests, that generates a pdf document, uses a before(:all) filter to set the environment using mocks and stubs. Then the pdf gets generated and after that all the tests run on that same pdf document. In rspec2 it seems like I can only use mocks and stubs in in before(:each) filters (thus not in before(:all) filters). Has this been changed, or is this supposed to work (I may be doing something wrong)?

This should never have worked. Mocks and stubs are cleared out after each example, which means that even if you set them up before(:all), they'll only be set for the first example that runs, after which they go away.

It sounds like you were unknowingly exploiting an unintentional feature.

HTH,
David