[rspec-users] Possible improvements to routing spec API

Wincent Colaiuta win at wincent.com
Mon Jul 5 03:00:52 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I've been unhappy with routing specs for a long time now and last night when updating some old 1.3 specs for 2.0 I decided to see if I could come up with something that didn't make me feel unhappy.

Principal causes of unhappiness:

1. Historically we had "route_for" and "params_from", which felt awfully repetitive because we ended up doing:

  route_for(lengthy_hash_of_params).should == string_or_hash_describing_destination
  params_from(list_describing_destination).should == lengthy_hash_of_params

Of course, it was worse than that in practice because those two lines usually appeared in separate example blocks with the associated boilerplate. It felt like a lot of work for testing such a simple thing. It also felt irritating to have to repeat basically the same thing twice but in a different order.

2. So then RSpec gave us "route_to", which is a wrapper for Rails' "assert_routing"; being a bi-directional test that encompasses the function of both "assert_recognizes" and "assert_generates", this allows us to avoid some, or even all, of the repetition:

  { :get => 'foo' }.should route_to(:controller => 'foo', :action => 'index')

The unhappiness here comes from three causes:

One is that { :get => 'foo' } feels inconsistent with other places in RSpec like controller specs where "get" is a method, so we can do things like "get 'thing'".

The second issue is that the "to" in "route_to" feels misleadingly uni-directional when in reality it is a bi-directional test.

The third issue is that for routes which don't actually have that bi-directional mapping, "route_to" can't be used and we must instead drop down to Rails' assert_recognizes() and/or assert_generates() methods, or wrap them using our own matchers.

So I thought about what I would rather be writing and in my first cut came up with this:

  describe ArticlesController do
    describe 'routing' do
      example 'GET /wiki' do
        get('/wiki').should   map_to(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
        get('/wiki').should map_from(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
        articles_path.should == '/wiki'

Things to note:

- make the bi-directionality of the mapping explicit by having separate "map_to" and "map_from" lines.

- for ease of readability and writability, keep the order as "method -> path -> destination" for both assertions by using "to" and "from", rather than swapping the order around

- "map" here is the right verb because we've always used that language to talk about how a given URL "maps to" a given controller#action. And remember how in the router DSL prior to Rails 3 everything in config/routes.rb started with "map"?

- I've tacked a test for the "articles_path" URL helper in there, because as a user of the Rails router I generally want to know two things: firstly, that requests get mapped to the appropriate controller#action; and secondly, that when I generate URLs (almost exclusively with named helpers; I use "url_for" in only 4 places in my entire app) that they take me where I think they take me. In the end, however, I moved this into a separate "describe 'URL helpers'" block.

- conscious use of "example" rather than "it" because I want my specs to be identified as "ArticlesController routing GET /wiki" and not "ArticlesController routing recognizes and generates #index".

- the repetition is a conscious choice because I value readability/scannability over DRYness-at-all-costs, especially in specs; the following is more DRY, for example, but less readable/scannable:

  path = '/wiki'
  destination = { :controller => 'articles, :action => 'index' }
  get(path).should map_to(destination)
  get(path).should map_from(destination)

So I went ahead and converted a bunch of specs to this syntax and found that, surprise, surprise, in an application like this one where almost everything consists of a "standard" RESTful resource, over 90% of routes were testable in the bi-directional sense and in a typical routing spec file I needed to use "map_to" with no corresponding "map_from" for only one or two cases. So I needed a new method that meant "map_to_and_from".

Funnily, I just can't decide on a name for this method. As a placeholder I am just using "map" for now:

  get('/wiki').should map(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')

But others I have tried are:

  get('/wiki').should map_as(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
  get('/wiki').should map_via(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
  get('/wiki').should map_with(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
  get('/wiki').should map_to_and_from(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
  get('/wiki').should map_both(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
  get('/wiki').should map_both_ways(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
  get('/wiki').should have_routing(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
  get('/wiki').should have_route(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
  get('/wiki').should be_route(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
  get('/wiki').should be_routing(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
  get('/wiki').should route_as(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
  get('/wiki').should route_via(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
  get('/wiki').should route(:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
  get('/wiki').should <=> (:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index')
  get('/wiki').should > (:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index') # map_to
  get('/wiki').should < (:controller => 'articles', :action => 'index') # map_from

If anybody has a suitable suggestion please let me know.

In the meantime, here is an example of a spec file that has been converted to use this new "API":

  http://gist.github.com/464081

It also includes the supporting code that adds these new "map", "map_to", "map_from" matchers, and the "get", "post", "put" and "delete" methods. All of this for Rails 3/RSpec 2 only.

I'm going to convert more routing specs and see if any more changes are needed to handle edge cases, but for a first cut I am pretty happy with the results, apart from my inability to decide on the right name for the bi-directional "map" matcher.

Cheers,
Wincent