[rspec-users] Rake spec options

Ibrahim Awwal ibrahim.awwal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 12:27:21 EDT 2010

On Jul 1, 9:13 am, Ibrahim Awwal <ibrahim.aw... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Apologies if this is a dumb question. I'm new to rails and most of the
> information online is about rails 2 and rspec 1.3, but my group is
> using rails 3 and thus rspec 2. I'm trying to format the output of
> rake spec, and I found online that I could use options like --format
> html in a file called spec/spec.opts in the rails base directory.
> However, from my attempts to populate this file and my cursory search
> through the rspec2 source, I don't think it obeys this file anymore.
> Furthermore, it seems like there is no more html format yet (makes
> sense, if rspec2 is a complete rewrite). So my question is, is there
> any way for me to a) specify options to be used when running rake spec
> and b) format the output nicely, specifically in html format but any
> alternative to the default is fine.
> The goal is basically to have the test results emailed out to the web
> development team each time someone pushes to git. I've got the rest of
> the script working, I just want to make it prettier. Thanks!
> -Ibrahim

D'oh, I guess it was a dumb question. Searched this group and I found
out that the proper file is now .rspec. Also found the answer on the
formatters, looks like right now there's only documentation and
progress formats? That's probably fine, I'll likely switch to
documentation format because it's less verbose which is nicer for

I'm still wondering one thing though, is it possible to disable
colored output from a command line option? It seems like before you
could pass --no-color but I'm not sure whether that's still the case
now (I don't have access to my codebase right now so I can't test it
myself). The reason being that right now when I redirect the output of
rake spec into a file (rake spec > $tmp where tmp=`mktemp`) I get all
the bash color escape sequences in the file, which is pretty useless
for email.