[rspec-users] STDIN gets method issue with rspec

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 07:36:01 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 1:46 PM, gokul murthy <railsthinker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to rspec. I am trying to write a spec for a simple ruby program i.e
> class First
> def test
> a = gets.chomp
> return a
> I have tried in different ways test method is called from the spec file. but
> gets.chomp is not executing…
> Please kindly advise me, how to write spec for this.

Even though it seems simple, you've chosen a rather complex situation
to try to learn Rspec from. Did you pick this because you really need
to solve it, or is this just an academic exercise? If the latter,
let's start somewhere simpler, and get to things like simulating IO
later :)

It is always easiest to start with examples in which you can create an
object with some state, send it a message (call a method), and set
expectations about the result: given/when/then.

describe Person, "full name" do
  context "with a first and last name" do
    it "concats the names with a space between them" do
      person = Person.new(:first_name => "Gokul", :last_name => "Murthy")
      # when
      full_name = person.full_name
      full_name.should == "Gokul Murthy"

I separated out the When and Then to make it clear which is which, but
in practice I'd likely just write this:

    it "concats the names with a space between them" do
      person = Person.new(:first_name => "Gokul", :last_name => "Murthy")
      person.full_name.should == "Gokul Murthy"

Now we have a pretty clear picture of how we want to create a Person
and how we want to ask for its name, and what our expected outcome is.

If you really want to know about specifying IO, let me know and I'll
show you a couple of ways to do it, but they are much less