[rspec-users] Testing .Net Newbie

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Thu Jan 14 10:56:15 EST 2010

On Jan 14, 2010, at 1:17 pm, John Polling wrote:

> I think this is the part that I'm confusing myself with as most Cucumber
> information talks about using scenarios to drive the code out.  So
> Cucumber comes first, whereas I used to do the Acceptance testing after
> all the other TDD stuff.  Maybe that is me doing it wrong though.

The book David mentioned earlier - before the one he wrote himself :) - GOOS[1] has a diagram on p40 that shows how the unit test cycle fits inside the acceptance test cycle.  You can extend this to as many layers as you like.  I wrote a blog post which has a pretty picture of the idea[2].  Ignore the text, it's long and rambling and is about something else.  I thought it was a great insight, until I realised Kent Beck wrote about self-similarity something like 5+ years ago[3].

Ashley

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Object-Oriented-Software-Guided-Tests/dp/0321503627
[2] http://blog.patchspace.co.uk/2009/12/customers-input-and-russian-doll-of.html
[3] http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/67833.Extreme_Programming_Explained_Embrace_Change