[rspec-users] Testing .Net Newbie

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Thu Jan 14 10:48:49 EST 2010

On Jan 14, 2010, at 12:15 pm, David Chelimsky wrote:

> re: Integration testing, everybody has a different definition. Before Rails came along, the prevalent definition that I was aware of was "testing the behaviour of two non-trivial components together."
>
> More recently, the definition that makes most sense to me comes from Growing Object Oriented Software [1]. I don't have the book in front of me, but from memory it is something like "testing your code with other code that you don't have any control over." Because we need a database for all levels of Rails testing, this suggests that all Rails testing is Integration Testing.

And yet, JB Rainsberger sticks absolutely uncompromisingly to the first definition[1].  I wonder if you could take it to yet another extreme and include tests for objects with private methods as "integration tests".

The thing I got most from GOOS is to protect all domain code with adapters.  If all Rails testing is integration testing, that means a lot of duplication and coupling that could be reduced... I have yet to do it for real though.  But GOOS is the book that convinced me it's worth trying.

Ashley

[1] http://www.infoq.com/presentations/integration-tests-scam

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/