[rspec-users] Testing .Net Newbie

Phillip Koebbe phillipkoebbe at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 10:31:21 EST 2010

John Polling wrote:
> Already reading that one thanks :-) It is a good book and it's helping
> me get my head around it all.  It's just a case of understanding when to
> develop using Cucumber and when to user RSpec on it's own. I think this
> will come with experience.
>
> John

Others can explain it better than me (and have), but in a nutshell:

- use Cucumber for full stack (as the user would see it) testing. Some
call it User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
- use RSpec for unit/functional testing (controllers, models, views,
helpers)

I think of it like this: RSpec is for the developer, Cucumber is for the
user. That may be a gross oversimplification, but it works for me. :)
But one thing to keep in mind is that you can (and maybe should) use
them together. Through Cucumber, you establish the context of what the
user will expect. Through RSpec, you establish expectations for the
different pieces of the application. That's why it's called "Outside In
Development": You start with the outside of the black box (what the user
interacts with) and then step into the black box (the nuts and bolts
that the user doesn't care about, but you, the developer, do).

Yes, it will come with experience. Just be patient, learn from your
mistakes, and ask lots of questions! That you have testing knowledge
already will help. Once the RSpec/Cucumber light goes on, there will be
no stopping you!

Peace,
Phillip