[rspec-users] Testing .Net Newbie

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 07:50:16 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 6:33 AM, John Polling <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> Thanks for this David.
> I suppose the thing I am so used to is testing classes in isolation
> whereas Cucumber is about testing everything together.

Did you do all of your testing in NUnit?

When I was working on .NET apps, I used FitNesse for acceptance testing and
NUnit for isolation testing. With Rails, these same roles are played by
Cucumber and RSpec.

> Do Rails developers generally not test things in isolation using
> mocking and stubbing?

Some do all the time, some never do. I probably do more than most, but I've
not experienced a lot of the pain that folks who are new to mocks and stubs
experience. You've got to know when it's appropriate.

ps - please be sure to quote the relevant portions of the email you're
responding to so people reading email on their phones don't have to go
digging around for context.