[rspec-users] describe "RSpec's documentation" do

Matt Patterson matt-lists at reprocessed.org
Tue Jan 5 07:17:44 EST 2010

On 9 Nov 2009, at 22:03, Matt Wynne wrote:

> On 6 Nov 2009, at 12:49, David Chelimsky wrote:
>> In the long run, what I'd like is the following:
>> * Cucumber features that ship with RSpec become the authoritative end-user documentation. This is something that anybody can contribute to with patches, as it's all in files that ship with RSpec. I'd also like to use such an effort to push the envelope on Cucumber features as executable documentation. I think that with a little bit of work we could use the features to generate a website with meaningful organization/navigation. Is anybody already doing that?
> +1
> I had a little epiphany working on the wire protocol feature for cucumber[3]. We were trying to design the protocol via email and lighthouse ticket discussion, started using a wiki to document the desired protocol when I realised - why don't we just use the features!? I would like to see more people pushing Cucumber in this direction, and I think it would be interesting to consider adding mark-up to comments to allow us to build RDoc-style websites from a features folder.

I've been looking at the documentation again recently, and I'd be happy to start work on this, particularly if Matt W is wanting to look at the cucumber end since he's just up the road from me.

I'm very keen on the executable documentation aspects of this, and I did a whole load of work back in 2008 on this kind of stuff using RSpec, so I've got a bit of history here :-)

  Matt Patterson | Design & Code
  <matt at reprocessed org> | http://www.reprocessed.org/