[rspec-users] Loading numerous data structures from YAML files

Peter Hicks peter.hicks at poggs.co.uk
Sat Jan 2 06:17:45 EST 2010

All,

I am writing specs for some multi-stage tests which require a lot of
input data.

A simplified overview of the tests is as follows:

  * Provide list of network interfaces, confirm they are added to the
database
  * Provide list of network interfaces as above, but with one entry
added, and confirm this entry is added to the database
  * Provide list of network interfaces as above, but with a different
entry removed, and confirm this entry is added to the database

I want to isolate the test data from the specs themselves for
cleanliness, and I am thinking of putting them in YAML files.

How best should I tackle this?  Where should I put the YAML files and is
there any functionality in RSpec that will help?  Should I roll my own
"load test data" code and present that to the test code?

Best wishes,

Peter