[rspec-users] should_receive not receiving on a returned instance variable

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 22:53:07 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 4:44 PM, lawwantsin
<somethingnoonehasthoughtof at gmail.com> wrote:
> i'm calling a very simple should_receive method on a returned instance
> and it's saying the implementation code is not calling it.  i get this
> error in my specs alot.  i've read the rspec beta book and it doesn't
> mention examples like this.  i couldn't find any solutions on the
> forum yet so i wanted to reach out.  it seems like i'm just not
> getting something about the rspec api.
> ==SPEC==
>   before :all do

Use before(:each), especially when you're dealing with real data that
gets cleaned out after each example.

I'd use factories for both @scene and @project:

@scene = Factory(:scene)
@project = Factory(:project, :working_title => "test")

>     @project.scenes << [@scene]
>     @project.save
>  end
>    it 'should call done! on @scene' do
>      @project.stub_chain(:scenes, :find).and_return(@scene)
>      @scene.should_receive(:done!).and_return(true)
>        xhr :post, :done, {:id => @scene.id, :project_id =>
> @project.id}
>    end
> class ScenesController < ApplicationController
>  before_filter :get_project
>  def done
>    @scene = @project.scenes.find(params[:id])

This @project is not the same @project that is defined in the spec,
which is likely the root of the problem. For them to be the same
object, you'll need to stub whatever method is used in the before
filter. Possibly this in the before block in the spec:

before(:each) do
  @project = Factory(:project, :working_title => "test")
  Project.stub(:find) { @project }