[rspec-users] OT: Identifying unused code?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Feb 10 23:46:58 EST 2010

I'm sure this has been covered before, but after some time all I've been able to find on the intarwebs are references to the use of code coverage tests to identify code that is not used by any current tests.

I guess the assumption is that you've specced your application completely, and any code left over doesn't contribute to any of the specified functionality.

However at some point in the future, I may decide to remove a feature. Perhaps my excision is not complete, and I leave a few specs in that relate to that code, but don't immediately appear to be related to the feature I wished to remove. So I'm left with 100% code coverage, due to a few specs hanging around which cover functions that are no longer actually required.

Have you run across this situation? What do you do to prevent the "zombie" code hanging around and gnawing on your brain?