[rspec-users] Comparing files

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Fri Dec 10 10:56:36 EST 2010

Hello folks,

I'm writing some tests for file upload code. The files are binary, images mostly. I'm futzing around a bit, trying to figure out how to assert that the uploaded file is the same as some golden master. If I do this:

File.read(uploaded_file_path).should == File.read(path_to_expected_file)

Then when it fails, I get an ugly diff of the difference between the binary files. So I'm about to invent something of my own. Has anyone got a good pattern for doing this already?

cheers,
Matt

matt at mattwynne.net
07974 430184