[rspec-users] displaying a note or comment when --format doc

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 08:18:07 EST 2010

On Dec 8, 2010, at 10:39 PM, rails.impaired wrote:

> I'm new to rspec, so, I might be coloring outside the lines, but,
> there have been several instances where I have wanted to display a
> comment or note.
>
> for example:
>
> describe "truck" do
>  it "should require model" do
>  end
> end
>
> rspec spec --format doc
>
> truck
>  should require model
>
> What I mean by display a comment or note would be like:
>
> truck
>  NOTE: blah, blah, blah...
>  should require model
>
> Currently, I'm accomplishing this goal by using a describe with an
> empty block.  Maybe I'm breaking some rules here, but, it just made
> sense to display a note given the particular spec I'm working on.
>
> Is there a way to accomplish the same thing other than using a
> describe with an empty block??

There is no direct support for comments _outside_ the documentation strings passed to describe() and it(), but you could use a "here doc":

describe "truck" do
  it(<<-DOCSTRING) do
NOTE: blah, blah, blah
  should require model
DOCSTRING

I probably wouldn't do this as it trades off readability in the spec for readability on the command line, but it would get you what you need.

Cheers,
David