[rspec-users] Rspec: `should': uninitialized constant RSpec::Expectations (NameError)

Wincent Colaiuta win at wincent.com
Mon Dec 6 04:34:44 EST 2010

El 06/12/2010, a las 01:19, DK escribió:

> Hi all, anyone have an idea why I am getting an error trying to 'rake
> spec':
> 'kernel.rb:27:in `should': uninitialized constant RSpec::Expectations
> (NameError)'.

Can you paste the full backtrace and the code of the spec which is causing this failure?

It wouldn't surprise me if you had a naked example -- ie. nested inside a "describe/context" block, without an "it" block.

I had one such example in an application with thousands of specs, so it slipped by unnoticed for a long while, but on moving to RSpec 2.1.0 this kind of latent bug is no longer tolerated. If you use a few levels of nesting to organize your specs it is quite possible for this kind of mistake to creep in.