[rspec-users] Test Spies for RSpec 2

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 08:53:45 EST 2010

On Dec 2, 2010, at 1:44 AM, Scott Bellware wrote:

> I've tried three test spy mocking frameworks for RSpec that I know of.
> Presently, all three (Not A Mock, RR, rspec-spies) don't work with
> RSpec 2.

Have you contacted the maintainers of the projects that offer spies? I'm a bit surprised they haven't updated to support RSpec-2, which was in beta since March (plenty of time for downstream libs to update).

> Does anyone have a line on any other mocking frameworks for RSpec 2
> that allow the AAA style to be supported?

I was only aware of those three.

> I'm really hoping to not have to roll off everything I've learned and
> put into practice about test/spec structure over the past four years
> and fall back to traditional mocking. Any pointers to any hint of a
> possible solution would be greatly helpful.

Have you considered contributing a patch to your preferred spy extension? The frameworks they depend on (expectations and mocks) didn't really change in any significant way, so I doubt it would be that complicated to get any of them working.

FWIW,
David