[rspec-users] respond_to? check in rspec-mocks

Myron Marston myron.marston at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 02:30:55 EDT 2010

> I think "separate from the spec run" mislead you as to my intention here.
> What I mean is that I don't want this to raise errors, but rather it
> would be part of the output, just like pending and failed examples.

I'm OK with this idea.  I just didn't want to have a separate file to
read :).

> I was resistant to the idea when it was simpler, but this additional
> complexity makes me even moreso :)

Fair enough.

> Without getting into a debate about its relative merits, here's what
> I'd really like to see: an API in the rspec-mocks framework that would
> allow you to extend it to do all this in a separate gem. Then you
> could build this, release it, refine it, etc.
> What do you think would be necessary in rspec-mocks to support that?

I appreciate your willingness to make changes to RSpec to support 3rd
party libraries...but I honestly think that the necessary changes to
rspec-mocks for the API plus the separate gem would be far more work
than just implementing a simple version of this (as you've suggested)
in rspec mocks itself.  Plus I doubt that a separate gem that did this
one simple thing would get much use by other developers.

Now that I understand that you just meant to have this print out a
report as part of the main spec output, I'm completely satisfied with
your suggestion.  I'll start working on something in a branch and I'll
see what I can come up with.