[rspec-users] issue with rescue_action_in_public! and testing 404 responses

John Firebaugh john.firebaugh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 16:52:16 EDT 2010

On Aug 9, 7:21 pm, David Chelimsky <dchelim... at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's up to you to handle the error in the controller. Something like this in ApplicationController:
>   rescue_from ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound do
>     render '/404.html', :layout => false, :status => :not_found
>   end

Actually, I believe this is a bug in Rails 3.
ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound should be handled automatically by the
ActionDispatch::ShowExceptions middleware, and then
rescue_action_in_public! in your controller test should continue to
work as it did in Rails 2, allowing you to verify the result is a 404.

I posted to rails-core about this issue: