[rspec-users] Name collision - how would you handle this?

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Thu Aug 12 14:24:23 EDT 2010

On 12 Aug 2010, at 04:30, David Chelimsky wrote:

> I think they should all be registered in the same place, in rspec-core. Or are you saying that rspec-rails would take the responsibility of registering the names for rspec-rails, rails, test/unit and minitest? That makes sense to me, as long as they're all using RSpec::Core::register_reserved_name (or whatever).
>
>> What do others think of this idea?  I'm willing to take a stab at
>> implementing this if there is support for it.
>
> I'm still not sold on this idea yet. Seems like a lot of complexity for not much benefit. I've already taken care of the message issue by encapsulating the assertion libs in a separate scope.
>
> Anybody else have opinions on this?

The idea sounds interesting, but sounds like it could lead to a nasty dependency down the line.  Is there any way of doing the core of this as an external gem, that all interested projects could use?

I'm only following the edge of this thread, but by dependency radar went off - it's a bit oversensitive.

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ashleymoran