[rspec-users] Name collision - how would you handle this?

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 20:54:55 EDT 2010

On Aug 8, 2010, at 11:13 AM, Matt Wynne wrote:

> On 8 Aug 2010, at 16:53, David Chelimsky wrote:

>>> Can you use the Assertions module some other way than mixing it into the example (thereby polluting it with the Assertions module's methods?)
>>
>> I like the idea in the abstract, but most of the rails assertions rely on some state that is local to the example (@response, @controller, @request, etc, etc). RSpec _could_ gather up all those instance variables and pass them into an assertion-wrapper object, but then it would be highly coupled to that implementation and would lead us down a familiar and unfriendly path of forcing rspec-rails releases for every rails release. That's a world I hope to leave behind with Rails 3 :)
>
> So leave the rails assertions mixed into the example, but forward all the calls to the MiniTest::Assertions methods to some other object that has them mixed in. Won't that work?

Here's a prototype implementation: http://github.com/rspec/rspec-rails/commit/0cd384536cf532435ec8f290a9c357b60872acd7

It's on a branch (http://github.com/rspec/rspec-rails/tree/assertion-delegate) because I'm not convinced this is the right way to go yet, but I'd like some feedback from anyone who wishes to peruse and comment.

Thanks,
David