[rspec-users] Recognising RSpec files in the Textmate bundle

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 10:08:27 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 7:11 AM, Ashley Moran
<ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> wrote:
> I just double checked, and spec_helper.rb isn't considered an RSpec file - and actually, I don't think it should be.  Also, I have a spec/support folder in most projects, with matchers etc.  They aren't RSpec files either.  So this route would probably give a lot of false positives.

Textmate only looks at the first line for patterns in a language
definition, typically that's used to find the shebang line.

I think we want Textmate to use the Ruby language grammar for rspec
files for indentation, delimiter matching etc. and the cost of having
a separate language definition in the RSpec bundle in terms of
confusion and or maintenance probably isn't worth it.

For more about how textmate detects file times see:

Rick DeNatale

Github: http://github.com/rubyredrick
Twitter: @RickDeNatale