[rspec-users] [newbie] tradeoffs of direct model access vs. simulated browser (webrat)

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Wed Aug 4 14:58:53 EDT 2010

On 4 Aug 2010, at 18:44, Lille wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My app involves the elicitation of tabular data over a succession of
> controller/model/view groups. The net result is a numeric outcome
> based on the entered data (basically, it's a spreadsheet on Rails.)
>
> Here is the nub of my question about developing such a thing with
> RSpec:
>
> + if I test with a simulated browser approach, my scenarios will need
> span multiple controller/model/view triads to confirm the expected
> result in as many cases as I feel I need to cover. Basically, an
> entire app use-cycle is contained in every scenario -- this doesn't
> remind me of anything I've seen in "The RSpec Book", for example.
>
> + I think I prefer rspec'ing the models directly -- it's concise and I
> don't duplicate simulated browser actions for no particular reason.
> What's the point of confirming that different data in the same set of
> fields is submitted successfully, like 20 times? I'll only simulate
> the browser to build the view/controllers and test their behavior when
> inputs are inadequate or require differential responses.
>
> My preferred strategy is sort of like saying to the client: 1) here
> are all the numeric outcomes we need to confirm, and 2) here in a
> smaller, overlapping set are the behavioral outcomes we need to
> confirm
>
> In short, it seems to me the simulated browser approach (webrat) is
> overkill when one is dealing with exhaustive cases and there is no
> differential response in the controller or view parts based on them.
>
> Lille

If your goal is to have a set of executable specs that the client can validate by reading them, consider writing them in Cucumber but wiring them directly to the models.

George Dinwiddie has blogged about this I think but I can't find the reference.

You can combine these with some other scenarios that focus on the behaviour of the user interface if you feel you need that assurance.